/*sidenote tool from arc90 */ /* end of Google Analytics code */ A Random Pattern: Chronicles of Narnia

A Random Pattern

Monday, December 12, 2005

Chronicles of Narnia

Chronicles of Narnia

I'm actually worried that the movie won't have a strong enough Christian/religious theme.Now, I'm an athiest, brought up Quaker, with little interest in spreading Christianity or anything.But I read the books before I could understand the whole Christian allegory thing. I loved them. I reread them later, understood, and felt betrayed. Then I matured enough to where I could read them a third time and not take it so hard. And I realize that the whole feel of the stories, the idea that they had weight and importance and weren't just some guys who had beef with each other, that came straight out of the religious treatment of the characters.If Aslan isn't God, and the White Witch is just some woman who wants to rule this place, the story becomes a cheesy special-effects battle movie. Yay, Dungeons and Dragons. If they can try to instill some kind of reverence and awe, and a feeling that these people are taking part in a larger struggle, that what is happening matters, I think the story can carry itself a lot better.If you can get over the fact that it's about Christianity, of course.I never saw The Passion, and I don't think it's a great idea for a movie, and so forth. But think how much more pointless a film it would be if the guy who was being tortured and suffering wasn't Jesus. (via www.slashdot.com comments )


Now that’s some insightful commentary. There is definitely room for a valid discussion on how well the movie was done, or how well the movie followed or didn’t follow the book. But arguing about the religious overtones or symbolism is really kind of silly.